Computer Club News and Events
Orion Schools Computer Club
Computer Club Mission: "My mission is to provide students with a better understanding of how computers work, why they work that way, and how to think critically by providing projects and exercises, teaching patience and understanding, and encouraging curiosity and exploration. The skills learned here will not apply only to the IT field, but to everyday life."
District Network Administrator
First two weeks of school: Daily from 3:30 until 4:00 for signup and scheduling. The first week is at OHS, the second at OMS.
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5:00 when we have a full day of school.
Activities In order (please note these all depend on available materials):
- Server Slideshow
- Discussion and research assignment
- Initial Setup and picking a server to work on
- Windows slideshow
- Introduction to computer architecture
- Issue Laptops
- How a Windows standard filesystem is laid out
- Set up our Windows servers
- Decide on a Linux Distribution - Everyone will use the same distro so that they can help each other troubleshoot
- Linux slideshow
- How a FHS filesystem is laid out
- What the POSIX-standard is
- Set up our Linux servers
- Create a Dice rolling program in python and other languages
- Robocode or Naval RoboCode battle
- Discuss and build other programming projects
- Students select their own projects to create or contribute to
- Introduction to Web Programming
- Introduction to Network Communications
- What is a LAN?
- What is a packet?
- What does it take to trade information between computers?
- Set up the Computer Club IRC server
- Create the new Computer Club Website
Introduction to LAN technologies and management
- Make Networking Cables
- Setup a small LAN with your laptops
- Setup a Game Server
- Setup a netboot system for the Lan Party
- LAN Party - Multiple Video Games Play Day (invite your friends, Bring Your Own Laptop/Computer Rig)